Sunday, November 7, 2010

November of Thanksgiving 7: The Death of Death in the Death of Christ

The title of today's post is also the title of a book of the same name by the great Puritan writer John Owen. You can find it here. I believe the Genesis account of the fall of the human race in Genesis 3, and I believe the most awful result of the fall was physical death as well as our separation from fellowship with God.
Prior to Adam and Eve's act of rebellion in the garden there was no death-it did not exist  Ro. 5:12. A good book to read on the necessity of a literal view of Genesis is John  MacArthur's "The Battle for the Beginning" found here. You can also visit GTY and find the whole series and listen for free here. I am not going to get into a theological debate here about how the Genesis account must be taken literally, because today is my day to be thankful that when Christ died and rose again he conquered death! No doubt about it--the Bible tells me so.

I know that every person reading here today has been touched by the awfulness of death in some way. God made us to be appalled at death- to shrink back from it -to hate it for the separation and awful pain that it causes: but because we have lived with death since almost the beginning of time-sometimes we almost buy into the lie that it is somehow natural. God made us as forever beings and I believe that somewhere deep inside, even the atheist knows it Ecclesiastes 3:11.

Even the creation itself groans under the violence unleashed on it because of the curse of Adam's sin, Ro. 8:20-21 & Ro. 8:22. Think with me for a moment--we all know that Lions have to eat. How does it make us feel though when we watch the nature shows and we see the violence of that magnificent animal as it kills a cute baby Zebra, or takes hours to eat a Water-buffalo while it is still alive. Have you listened to the screams of a baby rabbit caught by a Fox? I have. Have you ever caught a snake eating baby Robbins or raiding a Bluebirds nest; killing mother and young? Deep down in the depths of our being we KNOW this is wrong --an upside down world. God will lift the curse from the whole creation someday and this is what it will be like when he does;
Isa 11:6-9
  The wolf shall dwell with the lamb,
and the leopard shall lie down with the young goat,
and the calf and the lion and the fattened calf together;
and a little child shall lead them.
7 The cow and the bear shall graze;
their young shall lie down together;
and the lion shall eat straw like the ox.
8 The nursing child shall play over the hole of the cobra,
and the weaned child shall put his hand on the adder's den.
9  They shall not hurt or destroy
in all my holy mountain;
 for the earth shall be full of the knowledge of the Lord
as the waters cover the sea.
ESV


Because of the death burial and resurrection of Christ death has been defeated and will be dealt the final DEATH blow at his return.
Here are some of my favorite passages about the death of death in the death of Christ:
1 Cor. 15:26
1 Cor.15:54
1 Cor. 15:55
2 Tim. 1:10-11
Rev. 20:14

I have had death affect my life in a way that has crushed my heart until the day I go to be with the Lord. As some of you know I have lost my only child in a tragic accident, I speak of that here. I hate death--but I thank the Lord who has taken the sting out of death for the believer and is going to someday do away with death FOREVER! I say this "Even so come Lord Jesus".  AMEN!

You can participate in our November of Thanksgiving at Rebecca Writes.

1 comment:

  1. Victoria, I cried as you reminded us this truth today! Thank you to pointing us to Jesus, the One who has overcome death.

    As I finished reading, I thought of your name, "Victoria", you who hate death so fiercely, have hope, "Victoria" over death shall come!

    May His grace abound today in your life!

    ReplyDelete

 
Google Analytics Alternative