Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Heart Issues

In the struggle against sin I have to keep in mind that the battlefield is my heart( mind and thoughts)-the temptation to sin is internal-not external. The battle will be won or lost in the heart-before it is won or lost in the body. The fastest way to become a legalist and a Pharisee is to believe that a list of dos and don'ts will keep you from sin.

This is what Jesus said about the issue of the heart:
Matt 15:16-20
And he said, "Are you also still without understanding?   Do you not see that whatever goes into the mouth passes into the stomach and is expelled? But what comes out of the mouth proceeds from the heart, and this defiles a person.  For out of the heart come evil thoughts, murder, adultery, sexual immorality, theft, false witness, slander. These are what defile a person. But to eat with unwashed hands does not defile anyone."
ESV



I am kind of disgusted to realize that getting into my 6th decade of life has not gotten me over my problem with sin! That is not going to happen for any of us until we get a new body-the truth is-you have to die before you get rid of sin's pull on you.

Paul was as disgusted about this as I am-this is what he said:
Rom 7:24-25
Wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death? Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, I myself serve the law of God with my mind, but with my flesh I serve the law of sin.
ESV



Did you notice the awesomely good news in that verse? We have a deliverer from this body of death-Jesus Christ our Lord! I believe as we grow in maturity as believers we will experience more victory over sin in our lives. The path to victory is found here:
Rom 12:1-2
I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship. Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.
ESV


How do we renew our minds-by diligent study of the Word of God, and by prayer. Let me also add that we need accountability and fellowship with other Christians in our local Church.

The whole of Psalm 119 is excellent-but this portion should be memorized:
Ps 119:9-11
How can a young man keep his way pure?
By guarding it according to your word.  

With my whole heart I seek you;
let me not wander from your commandments!

I have stored up your word in my heart,
that I might not sin against you.
ESV


Today's post is just my rant against my own continued battle with sin-I am disgusted and tired and want it over with-I long to be with the Lord-to be changed into his likeness-to be holy as he is holy. If you are a Christian-you feel that way too. We are:
waiting for our blessed hope, the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ, who gave himself for us to redeem us from all lawlessness and to purify for himself a people for his own possession who are zealous for good works.
Titus 2:13  ESV


Maranatha: Come Lord Jesus

3 comments:

  1. Amen!
    But, in respect for the desire to be free of sin, I count myself blessed that you are here with us; being that encouraging voice telling us to 'keep fighting the good fight.'

    Hugs to you my Sister in Christ!
    -J

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post and a great reminder. Free from the penalty, free from the power, waiting to be free from the presence of sin.

    ReplyDelete

 
Google Analytics Alternative